WHAT: Autism Society Acadiana Spectrum of Opportunity Job Fair
WHEN: Friday, August 14
DETAILS: Autism Society Acadiana is hosting its first-ever job fair for adults and older teens with autism. Potential employers from throughout Acadiana will have an opportunity to connect with autistic jobseekers who are ready to go to work!
Due to Covid-19 social distancing guidelines, attendees will reserve a spot in one of two sessions. The first session is 9:30am-12:00pm and the second session is 11:00am-2:00pm.
Jobseekers will participate in a 30-minute workshop about the interviewing & navigating the workplace. They will then have 90 minutes to visit with employers. There will also be a presentation for employers on working with people with autism.
According to Autism Society of America, 90% of individuals with autism are unemployed or underemployed. Over 35% of autistic adults with a college degree are still unemployed. However, people with autism have many traits that make them excellent employees:
· Attention to detail and sustained concentration which result in accurate, high-quality work
· Excellent long-term memory with a recall of details that can be astonishing
· Tolerance of repetition and routine which is valuable in all kinds of jobs from telemarketing to computer programming and research
· Strong logic and analytic skills
· Vast knowledge of specialized fields and ability to think outside the box to discover creative solutions
· Honesty, loyalty, and a strong desire to do well
INTERVIEWS: Paul Ganucheau, Event Chair & Self-Advocate
Robyn Blackwell, Outreach Director
Carolyn Tate, Board President
ACADIANA: In 1985, a group of parents whose children had autism formed Autism Society Acadiana to provide a place where other families touched by autism could find information, guidance, and support. The organization has grown to serve over 800 individuals and families in seven Acadiana parishes. Services offered include support groups, workshops and trainings, recreation and education stipends, mini-grants for teachers and other school-based professionals, family-friendly events, and other resources.
INFO: Phone: 337.235.4425